Phone:+44 (0)1743 600951


Click on the image above to enlarge

A Superb Captains Waterloo medal and presentation sword. With a  transcript of his Diary and a copy of a miniature painting of him.


Sold or Currently Unavailable

Email me if item becomes available again



A Superb Captains Waterloo medal and presentation sword. With a  transcript of his Diary and a copy of a miniature painting of him.

Waterloo, Capt. Edmund Walcott. Royal Horse Artillery;  Presentation 1822 Pattern sword engraved, “John Hincks to E.Y. Walcott Augt 1925, F Troop Royal Horse Artillery” sword  by “ Profser Manufacturer to the kING (rest unreadable)” With George IV cipher.

Captain Edmund Yeamans Walcott was born ion the 9th October 1786 at Winkton House, Christchurch.

Gentleman Cadet 20th January 1801

2nd Lieutenant 20th December 1802

1st Lieutenant 12th September 1803

2nd Captain 23rd March 1809

Captain  29th July 1925

Brevet Major 15th August 1822

Lieutenant Colonel 10th January 1837

Retires on Full Pay 10th April 1845

Died Winkton, Hants 28th February 1847

During the Peninsular campaign Walcott served in the Coruna Expedition.

Walcott was Strongly recommended for promotion for his services at Waterloo

The Sword was presented to Walcott by John Hincks who served in Mercers Troop at Waterloo

Extracts from Walcotts Diary “A Slight Journal kept during the campaign of 1815, by Edmund Yeamans Walcott. R.H.A.

Introduction by Michael Walcott.

“Edmund Yeamans Walcott is descended from the Irish branch of an ancient family. His ancestor, Capt Thomas Walcott served under Ludlow in the Irish campaign during the civil war and was involved in the Rye House plot of 1683, and was executed for his part in it”

“ The diarist was the eldest child, two younger sons distinguishing themselves in the Royal Navy, one reaching Admiral rank.”

“He embarked for Spain and his first campaign from Northfleet with “C” tropp Royal Horse Artillery, he was in Spain less than three months, but returned to the Peninsular, to Portugal, from March 1811 until January 1812, when he returned to England and barrack life until 12th March 1815, when the journal begins.”

The Journal is not detailed on his activities on the 18th of June, but the following is known about Walcott’s day.:-

Walcott was fully committed to ensuring that the guns under his command were continually in action throughout the day. General Colquhoun Grant, writing to Sir George Wood said “ I beg to recommend this gallant and meritorious officer to your attention” Lt Col MacDonald writing to the same  man on the following day, wrote “It has occurred to me to be in no less my duty to express to you my admiration of the cool and determined conduct of Captain Walcott, who was some time detached from his troop on that day; and who in the handsomest manner, after the whole of his ammunition was expended , volunteered to take charge of some of the guns of Major Ramsay’s troop after it had suffered much by the loss of officers.” Walcott’s own reminiscences of the battle he gave in a letter written for Major Siborne’s book he recalls  that at one point he was bowled over by French skirmishers when the sound of battle drowned an order to retire to the protection of an Infantry square. By half past nine that night, fortified  with brandy, he was engaged in listing the Horse Artillery casualties on a “Tired Trooper”, his charger having been captured during the battle..

 The Diary starts on the 12th March 1815:

“Just as I was sitting down to a Carlton House dinner, Jenkinson came up to me and offered me the post of his secretary. He was then on the point of setting off to Paris to the headquarters of the French Royal Army, supposed to be at Lyon. I gladly seized the offer.”

Walcott reached Paris on the 16th, finding Robert Jenkinson and joined him at his hotel “Des Puissances Allies, Rue de la Paix. They were to join the French Royal Army,  but decided this was futile as there was only one army which had declared for Buonapart, the determined to stay in Paris.

On Sunday the 19th, the reports of the successes and the rapidity of Buonapart’s march caused very general sensation. Every report became more and more discouraging to the Royal cause.

By 12-00 o’clock the tricolor flag was hoisted on the principal building. At 1pm Buonapart’s advanced guard arrived..

At 8 o’clock Buonapart arrived, and the next morning I saw him at one of the windows of the Palace. Many regiments had marched in, and others continued to arrive. They were all greeted by the populace with the cry of “Vive L’Emereur” which they returned as loudly. Among them were regiments which has, the day before marched out with the cry of “Vive le Roi” and with the oath to their king to prevent the entry of Napoleon.

We left Paris at 6 o’clock

Walcott returned to London “I went to Carlton House and was surprised  to find the Princes still there. I had the Honour to tell the Dukes of York and Clarence what had passed there.

Walcott stayed in London until April 4th when he was ordered to Bordeaux taking  a rather adventurous  route and finding various ports now had the Tricolour flag flying then ended back at Plymouth on the 20th April

On the 18th May he embarked for Ostende , then on to Bruges.. On the 29th the whole of the English Cavalry and the six troops  of Horse Artillery were reviewed in a large meadow by the Duke of Wellington and marshal Blucher.

A very heavy affair took place on the 16th. The French advanced in great force, and in a most spirited manner attacked, and met with such a reception as not only baffled all their attempts but also caused them immense losses. Our losses also great.  On the 17ththe infantry retired, and the Calvary supported the move. The enemy came on, and some very smart skirmishing and charging back took place,  The cavalry suffered some losses.  Our backward movement causes Buonapart who commanded it in person to think that we were not in a state to rests the army which he had brought up, and that we should fall am easy prey.  As the country lying between the French and Brussels did not admit of any other stand being made, except at Braine L’Alleud.

Buonapart, after reviewing his troops and telling them that they would sleep in Brussels, came on at 12 o’clock on the 18th. At first there was severe skirmishing between the infantry; then we saw a large masses of cavalry and infantry forming, and the cannonade began on both sides. We were attacked on all points, and a most sanguinary action took place.  Mt troop in line with three others, was charged through three times.  It is imposible for me to describe the different parts of the field though all parts were perfectly visable owing to the open nature of the country.

After a brilliant display of courage and gallantry on the part of the enemy, who was always received on the point of the bayonet and in turn, repeatedly charged by the cavalry and infantry, they began to retire, though they did not slacken the fire of their artillery which was very well served; the bravery of the attackers was only exceeded by the bravery and determined courage of the defenders.

The Prussians came up about 6pm on our left. The French by this time had been foiled in all their attempts, and retired precipitately leaving in our possession 150 pieces of cannon.  Our losses were very great, and particulary in the artillery wherein the number killed and wounded exceeded the total of the whole peninsular War.  Among them, I lost my most intimate friends, Norman Ramsey and Bob Cairns who were killed at their guns.

The Journal continues  to Christmas 1815, “ Christmas day, we had another lively pleasant day, our party besides the troop consisted of Hincks, Swabey, MacDonald and Crawfurd.” He ends with the New Year celebrations.

Medal and sword EF