Rare Memorial Plaque to 459th Protection Company, the Royal Defence Corps
Memorial Plaque, James Lewsley
James Lewis died on the 19th November 1918 aged 23, whilst serving in the 459th Protection Company, Royal Defence Corps.
Commemorated at the Glasgow (St Kentigern’s) Roman Catholic Cemetery.
The Son of Edward and Mary Lesley of Town Head, Glasgow, who also lost another son Killed in France in April 1917.
459 Protection Company was part of the Irish Command
The Royal Defence Corps was a corps of the British Army formed in March 1916 and disbanded in 1936.
It was initially formed by converting the (Home Service) Garrison battalions of line infantry regiments. Garrison battalions were composed of soldiers either too old or medically unfit for active front-line service; the Home Service status indicated they were unable to be transferred overseas. Eighteen battalions were converted in this way.
The role of the corps was to provide troops for security and guard duties inside the United Kingdom; guarding important locations such as ports or bridges. It also provided independent companies for guarding prisoner-of-war camps. The corps was never intended to be employed on overseas service.
Condition – VF, note old dealers label stuck to back of plaque.