VENICE 1498 – double sided folio printed leaf
A single double-sided folio page from the COMMENTARIA IN BIBLIAM printed by Johannes and Gregorius de Gregororiis de Forlivo, in VENICE in the year 1498[Biblical commentaries by St. Jerome originally dating to 5-6th C.]
Gothic and Roman script; single column in Latin
All these things happened in the year this single page was printed ! :
- Portuguese explorer Vasco Da Gama reached Malindi, in modern Kenya and visited Quelimane and Mozambique, in southeastern Africa and later reached Calicut in India. The first European to round the Cape and sail to India.
- John Cabot left Bristol on an expedition for Newfoundland and northern Canada – never to be seen again.
- Girolamo Savonarola, ruler of Florence, executed for criticising the Pope.
- Niccolò Machiavelli elected by the Great Council as the second chancellor of the Republic of Florence.
- The final Welsh revolt of the medieval era broke out in Meirionnydd, North Wales; Harlech Castle captured by the rebels before the revolt was suppressed.
- On his third voyage to the Western Hemisphere, Christopher Columbus became the first European to visit the island of Trinidad; discovered the mouth of the Orinoco and explored the Gulf of Paria.
Slight distortion of clarity is the result of the scanning – the original is crisp and clear and in marvellous condition with only a couple of tiny signs of age staining.
Very nicely mounted ready for framing – over 520 years old!