Phone:+44 (0)1743 600951

Email:info@dcmmedals.com

Basket

WW1 Naval Trio, HMS Minotaur at Jutland.

£195.00

In stock

Compare

Description

WW1 Naval Trio, HMS Minotaur at Jutland.

1914-15 Star, 342710, A. McCorkindale, Blk., R.N.; British War and Victory medals,342710, A. McCorkindale, Blk., R.N.; Naval L.S.G.C. (geo V)342710, A. McCorkindale, Blksth. H.M.S. Champion.

Arthur McCorkindale was born on the 9th November 1878 in Forton Hampshire.

He served from the 22nd May 1899 to the 3rd August 1921. Serving as a Blacksmith throughout his service and on HMS Minotaur from 1st August 1913 to 16th June 11916 and was present at the Battle of Jutland.

HMS Minotaur during WW1:

Minotaur was in Wei Hai Wei on 3 July 1914 when most of the ships assigned to the China Station were ordered to assemble at Hong Kong. Shortly after the start of the First World War, the ship, together with the armoured cruiser Hampshire and the light cruiser Newcastle sailed for the German-owned island of Yap. They captured the collier Elsbeth on 11 August and destroyed the radio station there with gunfire. They then unsuccessfully searched for the ships of the East Asia Squadron until the light cruiser Emden was reported to have destroyed several ships in the Bay of Bengal in mid-September. Minotaur was ordered to the west coast of Sumatra to search for the German warship, but was unsuccessful. She was then ordered to escort a troop convoy from Wellington, New Zealand in late September. The ship was detached from the convoy and ordered to proceed to the Cape of Good Hope and reinforce the squadron there on 6 November after the Admiralty learned of the defeat at the Battle of Coronel. Upon her arrival Minotaur became flagship of the Cape of Good Hope Station under the command of Vice Admiral Herbert King-Hall and escorted a South African troop convoy to Luderitz Bay in German South-West Africa. The ship was near Table Bay, South Africa when the East Asia Squadron was destroyed during the Battle of the Falklands in early December and she was ordered home on 8 December.

Upon her arrival, Minotaur became flagship of the 7th Cruiser Squadron, under the command of Rear Admiral Arthur Waymouth, based at Cromarty Firth. She received a brief refit in early 1915 and was then assigned to Northern Patrol for the next year. The ship received a QF 12-pounder (three-inch) 12-cwt anti-aircraft (AA) gun and a QF three-pounder (47 mm) AA gun in 1915–16. The 12-pounder gun was mounted on the aft superstructure and the three-pounder on the quarterdeck at the extreme rear. The ship was transferred to the 2nd Cruiser Squadron on 30 May 1916 and participated in the Battle of Jutland on the following day as flagship of Rear Admiral Herbert Heath.

He was awarded his Long Service and Good Conduct on the 23rd May 1921 whilst serving on HMS Champion

Condition – NEF